Maine is a hiker's paradise with trails that meander through picturesque pine forests, scale
glaciated peaks, and hug rugged coastlines.
Maine is 90 percent forest, with a coastline that, if stretched out, would reach all the way to
California. That means you could spend a lifetime exploring the state and never for one second
With 1 National Park, 32 state parks, and over 500,000 acres of preserved land to hike and
explore, there is a hiking trail for everyone.
Where to hike
Maine is a must-visit destination for hiking enthusiasts as it offers some of the best hiking
experiences in the country. The famous Appalachian Trail runs through the state and culminates
at the majestic Katahdin Mountain. In Western Maine, you can choose from a myriad of peaks
that reach up to 4,000 feet. On the coast, there are smaller but equally beautiful mountains that
overlook the Gulf of Maine.
Whether you prefer leisurely strolls through manicured nature preserves, week-long
explorations, or challenging rock scrambles up dense forests and high peaks, Maine has got
Find the perfect hiking trail that suits your needs here.
Where can I find a Hiking guide?
With so many options available, planning a hike in Maine can be overwhelming, especially if
you're new to the area. Luckily, there are many opportunities for guided hikes, helping you make
the most of your outdoor adventure.
If you're looking for a knowledgeable guide to lead you through the wilderness, there are several
reputable options to choose from.
- Maine Professional Guides Association is a great resource for a more personalized option. This organization provides access to licensed guides specializing in various outdoor activities, including hiking.
- Acadia Mountain Guides is another popular choice, offering guided hikes and rock climbing trips in Acadia National Park.
- Northwoods Outfitters offers guided hiking tours for all ages and abilities at some of northern Maine's premier trails.
- Moose Woods Guide Service is a great option if you are looking to explore the Maine Highlands. Paul and his team help craft the perfect itinerary for any hiking ability within the 300 miles of trails in the Katahdin Region.
- NaviTour offers guided hikes and excursions throughout the entire state of Maine.
- Find more guides here
Both seasoned hikers and those new to the trail will be able to find the perfect hiking guide and
trail that meet their skill level and interests. Grab your hiking boots, and get ready to explore the
natural beauty of Maine.