From seasonal fairs and food festivals, concerts and art exhibits, holiday craft fairs and tree lighting ceremonies, there is always something to do in Maine.
Whether you are an outdoors person or one who loves to soak in culture and good food, Maine has you covered! There is so much to do in Maine all year round. Here are just some of the events going on in Maine throughout the year.
Don’t miss the Musher’s Bowl Winter Carnival in Bridgton, with January activities ranging from dogsled races to ice fishing. For some culture, check out Portland on Ice, a winter celebration of local musicians and art.
Bring some fun and drama to your February with Mardi Gras in Hallowell, which includes a parade and masquerade ball. Take off for a weekend of snowmobiling at the Moosehead Lake Sno-Fest, or enjoy family fun at Kennebunk’s Winterfest. Always competitive and fun to watch, The US National Toboggan Championships races come to the Mid-Coast region each February. In honor of Valentine’s Day, you’ll also find plenty of scrumptious festivals and events dedicated to chocolate!
If you have a sweet tooth, don’t miss Maine Maple Sunday in March. Sugar houses across the state open up for tastings and pancake breakfasts. Or celebrate Irish heritage at the Bath Blarney days, with Irish films, a Saint Patrick’s Day parade and the 5K Shamrock Sprint. Head on up to Fort Kent for the annual Can-Am sled dog races, one of which is a qualifier for the world famous Iditarod in Alaska!
If you’re a Jimmy Buffet fan, you’ll enjoy Sunday River’s Annual Parrothead Festival, an April weekend of outdoor concerts and competitions. For something more historical, check out the Ogunquit Patriot’s Day celebration, where historical characters walk the streets and perform historical reenactments.
Take in the Gardiner Ride into Summer day in May with a pizza party, live music and a parade of motorcycles and bicycles. Or head to Kennebunk for a May Day Festival including family fun, May Pole dancing and fresh goods from local farms.
Enjoy the hubbub of summer at Portland’s June Old Port Festival, a downtown celebration of good music, good food and good shopping. Head to Machias for the Margaretta Days Festival, commemorating the American Revolution’s first naval battle with historical demonstrations, storytelling and an antler toss!
Celebrate Maine’s potato harvest at the Maine Potato Blossom Festival in July. The nine-day festival includes dancing, road and river races, and mashed potato wrestling! For some local seafood, don’t miss the Yarmouth Clam Festival. Also in July is the Maine International Film Festival. This Waterville festival celebrates independent films by screening nearly 100 different movies.
In August, head to Lewiston for the Great Falls Balloon Festival where you can take a ride in a hot air balloon, or just enjoy the colorful sight of balloons floating across the summer sky. Experience Maine’s lobster at the Rockland Maine Lobster Festival, complete with maritime exhibits, cruises around the harbor and of course, all the lobster you can eat.
September’s Lighthouse Day invites visitors to explore the insides of lighthouses all along Maine’s coast. The Eastport Salmon and Seafood Festival incorporates art, music and plenty of seafood into their fall celebration.
In October, check out Caribou’s Fall Arts and Crafts Fair for music, shopping and treats. Or head south for OgunquitFest, a fall festival complete with a costume parade, pumpkin decorating and wagon rides. Also in October is the Fryeburg Fair, a popular 8-day agricultural fair in western Maine.
Visit decked out historic Portland homes in the Portland Holiday Home Tour in November. Or enjoy hot chocolate and fresh cookies while you watch the annual Lighting of the Nubble Lighthouse in York. Celebrate Maine’s local craft beer community at the Maine Brewers Festival on the first weekend in November.
In December, find unique gifts by local artists at Picnik in Portland. Or, hit the outlet stores in Freeport while enjoying Sparkle Weekend, which includes a parade of lights, a holiday movie marathon, and horse drawn wagon rides. If you’re looking for a quieter activity, take a horse-drawn sleigh ride at Northern Heights Farm in Waterford.
This is just a sampling of what Maine offers you for entertainment.
January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
- The Mountains of Maine:Skiing in the Pine Tree StateBethel · June 24 - June 16
- Skiing in the Pine Tree State ExhibitBethel · June 24 - June 16
- Rivane Neuenschwander: Zé Carioca and FriendsWaterville · September 21 - March 18
- Abstraction Exhibition February 2 - 25 at Greenhut GalleriesPortland · February 2 - 25
- No Limits: Zao Wou-KiWaterville · February 4 - June 4
- Graphic Matters: George Bellows and World War IWaterville · February 9 - September 3
- Portland Culinary Walking Tour 2/25 - 2/26Portland · February 25 - 26
- BUYER & CELLAR BY JONATHAN TOLINSPortland · February 28 - March 26
- Portland Culinary Walking Tour 3/4 - 3/5Portland · March 4 - 5
- Portland Culinary Walking Tour 3/11 - 3/12 · March 11 - 12
- Portland Culinary Walking Tour 3/18 3/19 · March 18 - 19
- Workshop: Chinese ArchitectureWaterville · March 18
- Maine Summer Camps Camp FairPortland · March 19
- Maine Summer Camps 8th Annual Camp FairPortland · March 19
- Artist Talk: Arnold ChangWaterville · March 30
- STRING AROUND MY FINGER BY BRENDA WITHERSPortland · April 4 - 23
- Curator Tour: Zao in ContextWaterville · April 6
- Lecture: Luis Camnitzer: Revilusion, or the Battle of UtopiasWaterville · April 12
- Exhibition Celebration of No Limits: Zao Wou-KiWaterville · April 13
- Workshop: Eggsploring ArtWaterville · April 15
- Woodlawn Museum, Gardens & Park - Open for the SeasonEllsworth · May 1 - October 31
- DISGRACED BY AYAD AKHTARPortland · May 2 - 21
- Fiddlers and Fiddlehead FestivalPatten, Maine · May 20
- Photo Tour: Lighthouses & LobstersMid-Coast · May 20
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Day TripRockland-Vinalhaven · May 24
- Photo Tour: Pemaquid Lighthouse Sunset Journey, May 26Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · May 26
- 14th Annual Down East Spring Birding FestivalTrescott, Maine · May 26 - 29
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse & LobsterMid-Coast · May 29
- Always, Patsy ClineBrunswick, ME · June 7 - 24
- Full Moon Sailing on the Schooner OladCamden · June 9
- Sleeping BeautyBrunswick, ME · June 14
- Photo Tour: Pemaquid Lighthouse Sunset Journey, June 15Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · June 15
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, June 16Rockland-Vinalhaven · June 16
- Sleeping Beauty Special Saturday PerformanceBrunswick, ME · June 17
- Father’s Day Sails on the Schooner OladCamden · June 18
- 28th Annual Bethel Area Golf ClassicBethel · June 19
- Solstice Sunrise Sailing on the Schooner OladCamden · June 21
- Photo Tour: Lighthouses & Lobsters, JuneMid-Coast · June 22
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, June 23Rockland-Vinalhaven · June 23
- Guys and DollsBrunswick, ME · June 28 - July 15
- Photo Tour: Lighthouses & Lobsters, JulyMid-Coast · July 3
- Camden Harbor Fireworks Sail on the Schooner OladCamden · July 4
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, July 5Rockland-Vinalhaven · July 5
- 41st Great Schooner Race on the Schooner OladCamden · July 7
- Photo Adventure: Chase the Great Schooner Race 2017Islesboro-Rockland · July 7
- 35th Annual Summer Solstice Craft ShowWells · July 8 - 9
- Arts In The ParkBelfast · July 8 - 9
- Full Moon Sail on the Schooner Olad July 9thCamden · July 9
- Photo Tour: Pemaquid Lighthouse Sunset Journey, July 9Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · July 9
- The Hank BandBrunswick ME · July 10
- Seabird Watching Sail with FOMCI on the Schooner OladCamden · July 13
- Windjammer Parade on the Schooner Olad July 14thCamden · July 14
- 15th Annual Native American Pow-WowWells · July 15 - 16
- 2nd Annual Benefit Pig Roast for Toys for TotsMillinocket · July 15
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse & Lobster, JulyMid-Coast · July 16
- GreaseBrunswick, ME · July 19 - August 5
- Half Day Sail and Lobster Bake on the Schooner Olad July 20thCamden · July 20
- Photo Tour: Hours of Flowers, Photographing Maine Gardens 2017Mid-Coast · July 22
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, July 24Rockland-Vinalhaven · July 24
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, July 25Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · July 25
- Half Day Sail and Lobster Bake on the Schooner Olad July 27thCamden · July 27
- Annual 2017 Harbor-FestWells · July 29
- The Who's TommyBrunswick, ME · July 31
- Full Moon Sail on the Schooner Olad August 7thCamden · August 7
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, Aug 7Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · August 7
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, Aug 8Rockland-Vinalhaven · August 8
- NewsiesBrunswick, ME · August 9 - 26
- Photo Tour: Lighthouses & Lobsters, AugMid-Coast · August 9
- Half Day Sail and Lobster Bake on the Schooner Olad August 10thCamden · August 10
- The TaffetasBrunswick, ME · August 14
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, Aug 14Rockland-Vinalhaven · August 14
- Half Day Sail and Lobster Bake on the Schooner Olad August 17thCamden · August 17
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, Aug 18Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · August 18
- Alice in Wonderland · August 21
- 17th Annual Chili-FestWells · August 26
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, Aug 27Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · August 27
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, Aug 28Rockland-Vinalhaven · August 28
- 2017 Camden Windjammer Festival Sail-in Camden · September 1
- 2017 Camden Windjammer Festival Fireworks SailCamden · September 1
- 2017 Camden Windjammer Festival Parade of Sail on the Schooner OladCamden · September 3
- Full Moon Sail on the Schooner Olad September 5thCamden · September 5
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, Sept 7Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · September 7
- 29th Annual Summer Solstice Craft ShowWells · September 9 - 10
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, Sept 9Rockland-Vinalhaven · September 9
- Photo Tour: Lighthouses & Lobsters, SeptMid-Coast · September 11
- Full Day Sail and Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse Tour September 14thCamden · September 14
- 9th Annual Family JamboreeWells · September 16
- Photo Tour: Vinalhaven Island Excursion, Sept 30Rockland-Vinalhaven · September 30
- Photo Tour: Lighthouse Sunset Journey, Oct 5Pemaquid Point, Bristol Pennisula · October 5
- Dempsey ChallengeLewiston · October 7 - 8
- Photo Adventure: Autumn in Western Maine; Waterfalls & Covered BridgesBethel-Rangeley · October 9 - 14
- 34th League of Maine Craft ShowWells · November 4 - 5
- 4th Annual Veterans Day 5K Road RaceWells · November 11
- 32nd Annual Christmas ParadeWells · December 10