Maine Tourism Relief Fund
Apply for Aid
Through the Maine Tourism Relief Fund, we will provide grants to tourism-related small businesses with less than 50 employees and their employees who have been adversely impacted by COVID-19, financially, whether through a decrease in wages or loss of employment.
How does it work?
- Apply for a grant May 4th, 2020 - May 8th, 2020 at close of business (5pm). All grant applications submitted during the application window will be reviewed. Late applications will not be considered.
- Each approved grant is $1000 per small business, $500 per employee, one per household, business, or group of businesses only.
- See Eligibility Requirements listed below
- Read our Application FAQs
- After reading the below information and determining that you are eligible for this fund, download the form that applies to you at the bottom of this page. Email your completed form and all relevant documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Grants will be awarded as soon as possible to those individuals who meet the eligibility criteria below, as reviewed and verified by the Maine Tourism Association. Subject to the availability of funds contributed to the Fund, a one-time grant of will be disbursed directly to the applicant following confirmation that their submitted application meets the guidelines.
Awards will be limited to one grant per household, businesses, or group of businesses. If you own more than one business, have more than one eligible employee in your household, or are both an employee and an employer, please only submit one grant application.
Applications will be processed in rounds; the first round will begin May 4th and end May 8th, 2020 at close of business (5pm). Grants will be distributed to applicants after review and verification of eligibility requirements. If donations are insufficient to cover all applicants to the program, grants will be distributed via lottery until funds are depleted. Grants are subject to the amount of funding available; therefore, submitting an application is not a guarantee of receiving a grant.
*Based on availability of funds, second and third rounds may be opened after the first round of grants has been disbursed.
Who Should Apply To Receive Funds?
Employees are eligible for a $500 grant if they meet the following requirements:
- Worked at a business with less than 50 employees based in the state of Maine in one of the following industries: restaurant/food service, retail, hotels and lodging, attractions/amusements, outdoor recreation, catering, destination marketing, travel/guide, event planning, or related industry. You must have worked at this business starting on or before February 10th, 2020 and have relied on that position as your primary source of income. Self-employed individuals are eligible for this program.
- Have experienced a decrease in needed wages or loss of job on or after March 10th, 2020 which this grant funds will help offset; and
- Are a resident of the state of Maine.
- Are over the age of 18
- Projected loss of income after April 30th, 2020 will not be considered for this round of grant funding.
Employers are eligible for a $1000 grant if they meet the following requirements:
- Own a small business with less than 50 employees based in the state of Maine in one of the following industries: restaurant/food service, retail, hotels and lodging, attractions/amusements, outdoor recreation, catering, destination marketing, travel/guide, event planning, or related industry.
- Have been in operation since at least March 10th, 2019; and
- Have experienced a decrease in needed income on or after March 10, 2020 which this grant funds will help offset.
- Projected loss of income after April 30th, 2020 will not be considered in this round of grant funding.
Your Need For Funds
One-time grants are for short-term COVID-19 related hardships in paying any of the following expenses:
- Home rent or mortgage
- Car payments or transportation costs
- Utility bills
- Student loan payments
- Child care
- Medical bills
- Mortgage or rent
- Repayment on loans or other debts
The May 4th-May 8th application window is closed; recipients will be notified next week (5/11-5/15). We are planning additional rounds of grants dependent on funding, so please keep an eye on the website.
Please read the application carefully and submit all requested documentation listed on the PDF. Incomplete applications will not be considered; there are currently too many incoming applications to follow up on missing paperwork.