Maine Author Mac Smith presents: "Presidential Visits to Maine"
- June 30, 2022
- 37 Preservation Way
- Poland Spring, ME 04274
A visit from the President of the United States always brings with it excitement. In Maine, perhaps part of that excitement stems from the fact that presidents rarely visit the state - only 18 of the 45 presidents have visited Maine in the nation's 244 year history.
Many of these visits came at significant points in a presidency; and some visits had controversy, conflict and ironic twists. For example:
* During George Washington's visit, Maine was not even Maine, it was part of Massachusetts.
* President Ulysses S. Grant was the hero of the recently ended Civil War.
* President Richard Nixon was met with protests that saw Mainer battle Mainer.
* President Carter spent the night of his visit with a common, ordinary Maine family, in their modest home.
* President Trump's visit came in the middle of a global pandemic.
Each of Maine's presidential visits left us with great stories, and a detailed view of Maine's lively history.
Maine Author Mac Smith will highlight the presidential visits to Poland Spring and will include a discussion of how President William H. Taft's 1912 visit to the area is connected with the sinking of the R.M.S. Titanic.
A Navy veteran of the first Gulf War and former reporter for The Bar Harbor Times, Mac Smith lives in Stockton Springs, Maine, in the village of Sandy Point. He is also the author of Mainer's on the Titanic and Peyton Place Comes Home to Maine: The Making of the Iconic Film. His fourth book, Siege at the Statehouse, is due to be released in July of 2022.
Join us for a fun evening learning of historical events such as Presidential Visits that took place in Poland Spring! Tickets are $5.00 each at the door.
Proceeds benefit the Poland Spring Preservation Society and our mission to restore, protect and preserve the 1893 Maine State Building, and the 1912 All Souls Chapel located in Poland Spring, Maine.