The Maine Tourism Association (MTA) is the State’s largest independent tourism membership association, working to advance the economic interests of tourism businesses across the state of Maine. The MTA was originally founded in 1921, almost 100 years ago, and provides an array of resources and opportunity for members, including advertising opportunities. The MTA additionally manages Maine’s Visitor Information Centers through contractual agreements with the State’s Office of Tourism and publishes the State’s Annual travel Planner, Maine Invites You.
The organization is guided by a vision of a strong and growing tourism industry in Maine where meaningful employment opportunities and profitable businesses are being created in every region. To advance this vision, the Board of Directors for the MTA seeks to hire a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The MTA has an operating budget of $2.7 million and a staff of 85 full and part-time staff. The 17 member Board of Directors is comprised of a diversity of tourism operators and trade association leaders. The MTA administrative offices are in Hallowell, ME. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
With the recent departure of the CEO following a successful 5-year tenure, the Board of Directors has appointed an interim CEO to manage the operations while searching for the next Chief Executive Officer who is committed to taking our highly successful organization into the future.
Job Priorities and Responsibilities:
- Build on the organization’s 99-year history of successfully serving tourism businesses and promoting the tourism industry in Maine as we move into our next 100 years.
- Expand the use of innovative and effective digital platforms for promoting Maine tourism businesses and experiences, bringing MTA services and information to members and visitors wherever they may be, while seeking new opportunities to expand.
- Establish routine mechanisms for eliciting member feedback and being responsive to membership trends.
- Evolve MTA’s portfolio of member services and benefits with a focus on delivering high value services exceptionally well to MTA’s core membership markets.
- Improve member education and communications so members are well prepared to advocate for issues affecting them and better understand the value being delivered to them through MTA.
- Strengthen MTA’s role as the leading independent advocate for Maine’s tourism industry.
- Build on the organizations’ existing reputation as a knowledgeable and trustworthy resource on tourism issues and opportunities in Maine.
- Lead and empower an experienced team of staff in fulfilling the operational mission of the organization, while encouraging new levels of innovation and rigor in exploring ideas and approaches for achieving the above.
Minimum Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- A completed Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-10 years of experience in a Management or Senior Management position.
- Management experience within a non-profit is highly preferred.
- Proven success with creating and implementing innovative and forward thinking strategy to support company goals.
- Experience within the tourism industry in Maine, or nationally.
- Experience within a political work environment or experience in a position directly linked to the federal and state systems is highly preferred.
- Business financial knowledge with ability to manage budgets and analyze financial statements.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including public speaking experience.
- A passion for Maine and the life style it offers.
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE